Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Content is king abundant

"Avoid creating content" is my mantra when meeting learning clients, fearing time wasted on Powerpoints & at the same time pointing to all the stuff available on our Intranet. (Is that a proper English sentence? Anyway, ....) Thiagi has this to say about the matter - isn't he right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Gerry said...

Yes he is right !! SO THERE !!

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 3:39:00 PM  
Blogger Elka said...

I partly agree with what is said in that article. I think this is quite right: "create structured learning activities that incorporate existing content",
Which means you have to take the activities as a starting point and build your available content around them. The activities are the highest priority.

What I don't think is that user manuals, technical specifications, etc. are very ACCESSIBLE to students. As David Merrill sais: "Information is not
instruction!", see:
http://www.learningcircuits.org/2000/feb2000/Kruse.htm
And unlimited access to documents will not maximize the effectiveness of information processing and learning.

To my opinion we have to re-use all apropriate content that is already available and put it together in an accessible and easy to digest format. And do this as cost-effectively as possible.

Besides that, what I totally support and I think is highly effective, is that we should let the students become the content creators as well: "....require
participants to use and explore partially structured or unstructured content and reorganize them into a form that makes sense to them. The result of this dynamic process is an in-depth understanding, mastery, recall, and application of the content."

Thursday, October 12, 2006 5:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home